Friday, July 25, 2008

a continuation

Oh, I was actually trying to edit some things from my first posting - - - but, what the hey!?.... I guess I should continue the story.
So...That first gig came in the Summer of 1987(Sept. 9) - while I was on an indefinite break from academic studies.(between stints at a community college and a university in Chicago)
Unfortunately, I was working a summer job - as a painters helper. (busting my hump: taping and painting walls - and literally busting my balls moving cabinets and furniture around.)

Our band: FUTURE MANAGEMENT-(a name lifted from a Roger Taylor song from his solo album) - played a mixture of originals(mostly)- and typical, bar band covers for this first gig.
Our originals were a combination of up-tempo 1980s rock (The Romantics); angy-young-man punk (a' la' Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello)- and heavy metal / "hair band"/ mook rock.( a' la` Dio; Poison; and Ratt)
After all, it was the late 1980s and we had Los Angeles' "Z-Rock" broadcasting into Chicagoland - on 106.7 fm. (and our own "METAL STATION" at night - WVVX - - - which started on AM, I think - and later switched to 103.1 fm)
In the wake of MTV's first five years, we were also influenced by the influx of Euro-pop music and American recording artists - featured on videos. (A few favs of mine: Joan Jett and The Blackhearts; Big Country; U2; The Police; The Clash; etc.)
The night went well - for a Wednesday - it was at a rock club / bar called : The Iron Rail.
(Kind of a dump, really - - - but, they'd have some pretty decent bands there regularly.)
The true rock club was The Thirsty Whale in River Grove, IL. - where you had to be pretty full- on / hard-core rockers to get a gig.(And have a significant following)
Cash-wise, we ended up in the red - and had to pay back a fee to the soundman.
I was not then, and haven't ever been in this for the money.
-Something, I realize - has been to my detriment - - - in the long run.
(Nowadays, I'm ONLY in it for money and chicks! . . . . NOT! HA! - - - unfortunately, I'm still in it - for the love of music. PRETTY SAD!)
Overall, a good experience though.
A supportive crowd of friends showed up to cheer us on - and we received positive feedback from strangers too.
I forgot to mention - that with about 2 weeks notice: we did get a replacement bass player.
Before we located this guy though, I also began preparing to play bass - as I knew several drummers who could fill in.
This really began my 16 year run(on and off) as predominantly a bassist.(Thanks Vince!)

After the gig, I was battered physically and mentally - so, I decided to put the band on an indefinite break - and work on some of my own personal songs/ideas - and come up with new material/ new direction/ style.

With the confidence that I could sing well enough to front a band- I began to audition for a couple new groups.
Singing lead vocals, I soon realized, was not really my strong suit- and I decided to concentrate on bass playing and writing.
And ended up playing bass in an original hard rock/ metal band: called Wide Eyed.
This ended up in a dead end - but I learned a lot, I guess....
I'll pick up the story next time.

No comments: