Friday, July 18, 2008

foundations

Hoi / Hello Everyone:
This is the first entry into the fascinating arena of blogging for me.

Let me introduce myself - I am Van Yaas, a lifelong resident of Chicagoland and a member of the Chicago Music Scene for 20 years. (This coming September 9 : 2008 - will mark the 21st anniversary of my first paying gig.)
My musical career began like most suburban kids who end up playing in bands - - - taking up an instrument in High School and plunging headfirst into the deep end of rock music.
Even though I only actually got my drums at the age of 16, I always considered myself a musician-from the earliest time I could remember.
I grew up in a house with the radio on; records playing; and singing with family and friends.
It was in the late 1960s and early 1970s when I awakened to popular music.
Day and night, my brother; sisters; cousins; friends and I listened to A.M. radio in Chicago. (mostly WLS and WCFL)
Sonny and Cher were on t.v.; even The Ed Sullivan Show was still on; The Osmonds and later Donny and Marie; Tony Orlando and Dawn - and variety shows -like Carol Burnette dominated prime time television.

So, it was in this climate that my musical foundations were formed.
On the radio - there were so many things to make your ears perk up and stimulate your senses.
Radio in the '70s was strange - such a mish mash of sounds.
You'd hear: a multitude of "one-hit-wonders"(Player-"Baby Come Back"; Argent: "Hold Your Head Up"); lots of "Light Rock" (Bread; Ambrosia; America; Little River Band);Heavy metal came into existence- (though A.M. radio didn't play any Black Sabbath or much Led Zeppelin)
California bands ruled(The Eagles); the original glam bands hit hard(The Sweet); there was David Bowie(in all his various incarnations); and a host of singer/songwriters from around the country and world - were plentiful.(James Taylor; Jim Croce; Cat Stevens,Carole King, etc.)
Strange and interesting bands were introduced:(10cc; E.L.O.; Kansas; Styx,etc.)
And, of course - we always heard The Beatles; and Paul McCartney and Wings - on radio and records.
But in 1975 - a song came on the radio that took everyone by surprise.
It was "Bohemian Rhapsody" by QUEEN.
This song stopped me dead in my tracks- everytime it came on.
I'd wait until the last note was played, before breathing normally again.
At this point, QUEEN had a few minor hits in the States - and a pretty big one the year before with "Killer Queen" - a one of a kind track(very unusual/totally unique- but very catchy and memorable), which established the band on American radio.
"Bo-Rhap" began my lifelong devotion and admiration for the music of QUEEN.
They've taken me on such exciting adventures through their creative; imaginative and masterful recordings and live performances.
-My first concert experience was seeing QUEEN! - 1977 at Chicago Stadium.
My cousins' aunt had a connection with someone at the Stadium - and the guy got us fourth row center seats - UNBELIEVABLE! - I've never had stadium seats that great since.
-I've never even been on the main floor since.
The concert was spectacular! - the band were touring for their album "News Of The World" - with the hits"We Will Rock You" and We Are The Champions" - though their older material was what we preferred most. (still do)
This was , I think - their first U.S. headlining tour. (no opening act!)
On previous tours, they'd served as opening act to Mott The Hoople; and Thin Lizzy.
They're still the biggest influence on my life in music.

So . . . By the time I started playing in a group, it was the mid-1980s - - - and radio had changed.(now, it was F.M. we were all listening to - and either VERY commercial:(Madonna;Michael Jackson; Men At Work; Kenny Loggins) -OR - more indie: (Pretenders; Talking Heads; R.E.M., etc.)
There were also several "ROCK" stations to choose from. (That played what we now call: "Classic Rock")
Starting in about 1982, I was regularly listening to WXRT in Chicago.
My High School art teachers used to let us put the radio on during class.

This was great for stimulating discussions and hearing new bands.
And for a budding musician and his cohorts, this environment served as a springboard for rock and roll dreams.
My closest friend, at the time: John H. -(and for much of the next 2 decades)- was a fellow art student and an upstart musician.( he chose guitar- and I was on drums)
We both started playing around the same time - and decided to join forces.
Though, I had an older brother and 2 cousins who also played musical instruments.
We played mostly originals - almost exclusively.(being either too lazy / undisciplined OR -uninterested in learning other peoples' songs. ?)
We chalked it up to: Creative people like to make their own creations.

Our group found a "sometimes" bass player in my cousin: Vince N.(a natural-born bassist and great supporter of our sporadic and manic antics.)
When that first gig rolled around - Vince had to bail.( he was recovering from an exploded appendix- at the time.)
I'll continue the story in the next blog post.
Till then: keep dreaming.
p Van Yaas

No comments: